Eglise Notre Dame
Notre Dame is the most baroque and Romanesque-style church in Bordeaux.
The church and Cour Mably (Mably Courtyard) are the only vestiges of a Dominican monastery going back to the 13th century.
The original church was on the present-day Allées de Tourny (laid out in 1745) but, further to a revolt against Louis XIV, it was destroyed in 1675 to make way for construction of the Château Trompette. The architect Pierre Michel Duplessy drew up the plans and designed the facade, inspired by the church of the Gesù in Rome. As opposed to the ornate exterior, the interior decoration is surprisingly simple.
The chapels feature numerous trompe-l’œil decors as well as a series of 10 religious paintings by Brother André (1662-1735). Dating from the 19th century, the beautiful stained glass windows are attributed to the master Bordeaux glassmakers Villiet and Hutrel.
The great organ (1775) is used for concerts of religious music all year round. Located near the church, the Cour Mably is a beautiful courtyard out of time often used as a venue for concerts, films, and exhibitions.
Place du Chapelet