Cité Frugès in Pessac is a rare example of this unique architect's work
This astonishing project is due to Henry Frugès, a Bordeaux industrialist and lover of modern architecture. His motivation was socially-minded: he wanted to provide everyone with housing, regardless of their financial situation. Fifty houses were built in 1929.
The architectural style was completely different from any other at the time. The strict geometric shapes, concrete treated with compressed air and left unfinished, panoramic terraces, and vibrant colours had little in common with the very traditional style of a city that reveres the Age of Enlightenment.
This caused an immediate scandal, and people thought Frugès was insane.
However, these houses were comfortable, and came equipped with running water, heating, and septic tanks.
La Cité Frugès is listed as a UNESCO World Heritage Site. That is a fine way of paying homage to an internationally renowned architect. The Le Corbusier Maison Municipale in Pessac welcomes architecture enthusiasts and interested tourists every Wednesday and Saturday.
Guided and free visits at the beginning of each hour. Remember to book at the Kiosque Culture and Tourism at 05.57.93.65.40.
Services & equipments, comfort
- From 01/04/2019 until 30/09/2019
- Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday from 10h00 to 13h00 until 14h00 to 19h00
- Sunday from 14h00 to 19h00
- Closed on Monday, Tuesday
- From 01/10/2019 until 31/12/2019
- Open daily
- Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday from 10h00 to 13h00 until 14h00 to 18h00
- Sunday from 14h00 to 18h00
The Fruges-Le Corbusier house is open:
- from October to March from Wednesday to Saturday from 10h to 13h and 14h to 18h and Sunday from 14h to 18h,
- from April to September from Wednesday to Saturday from 10h to 13h and 14h to 19h and Sunday from 14h to 19h.
The house is closed on Mondays and Tuesdays, December 25, January 1 and May 1.
The guided tours are free and are only in french at 10 ; 11.30 am ; 2 ; 3.30 and 5 pm. You have to book your guided tour at the Kiosque 05.57.93.65.40
4 rue Le Corbusier
- 33600 PESSAC
Bordeaux Graves et Garonne
- +33 5 57 93 65 40